1. Dewhirst MW, Cao Y, Moeller B. Cycling hypoxia and free radicals regulate angiogenesis and radiotherapy response. Nat Rev Cancer. 2008 Jun;8(6):425-37.
Malmberg KJ. Effective immunotherapy against cancer: a question of overcoming immune suppression and immune escape? Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2004 Oct;53(10):879-92.
Toyokuni S. Okamoto K. Yodoi J. Hiai H. Persistent oxidative stress in cancer. FEBS Letters. 1995;358(1):1-3.
Esme H, Cemek M, Sezer M, Saglam H, Demir A, Melek H, Unlu M. High levels of oxidative stress in patients with advanced lung cancer. Respirology. 2008 Jan;13(1):112-6.
2. Perwez Hussain S, Harris CC. Inflammation and cancer: an ancient link with novel potentials. Int J Cancer. 2007 Dec 1;121(11):2373-80.
Azad N, Rojanasakul Y, Vallyathan V. Inflammation and lung cancer: roles of reactive oxygen/nitrogen species. J Toxicol Environ Health B Crit Rev. 2008 Jan;11(1):1-15.
3. Yudoh K, Matsui H, Tsuji H. Nitric oxide induced by tumor cells activates tumor cell adhesion to endothelial cells and permeability of the endothelium in vitro. Clin Exp Metastasis. 1997 Nov;15(6):557-67.
Missirlis E, Whaley M, Lhotak S, Orr FW. Endothelial injury causes degradation of adjacent basement membranes and promotes their invasion by A549 carcinoma cells.
Invasion Metastasis. 1992;12(1):35-46.
4. Blanchetot C, Boonstra J. The ROS-NOX connection in cancer and angiogenesis. Crit Rev Eukaryot Gene Expr. 2008;18(1):35-45.
Xia C, Meng Q, Liu LZ, Rojanasakul Y, Wang XR, Jiang BH. Reactive oxygen species regulate angiogenesis and tumor growth through vascular endothelial growth factor. Cancer Res. 2007 Nov 15;67(22):10823-30.
5. Saintot M, Mathieu-Daude H, Astre C, Grenier J, Simony-Lafontaine J, Gerber M. Oxidant-antioxidant status in relation to survival among breast cancer patients. Int J Cancer. 2002; 97(5):574-9.
Gunselman SJ. Proceedings of the
7. Pervaiz S. Pro-oxidant milieu blunts scissors: insight into tumor progression, drug resistance, and novel druggable targets. Curr Pharm Des. 2006;12(34):4469-77.
Hwang IT, Chung YM, Kim JJ, Chung JS, Kim BS, Kim HJ, Kim JS, Yoo YD.
Drug resistance to 5-FU linked to reactive oxygen species modulator 1. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007 Jul 27;359(2):304-10
8. Block KI, Koch AC, Mead MN, Tothy PK, Newman RA, Gyllenhaal C. Impact of antioxidant supplementation on chemotherapeutic efficacy: a systematic review of the evidence from randomized controlled trials. Cancer Treat Rev. 2007 Aug;33(5):407-18.
Block KI, Koch AC, Mead MN, Tothy PK, Newman RA, Gyllenhaal C. Impact of Antioxidant Supplementation on Chemotherapeutic Toxicity: A Systematic Review of the Evidence from Randomized Controlled Trials. Int J Cancer 2008; in press.
9. Bove L, Picardo M, Maresca V, Jandolo B, Pace A. A pilot study on the relation between cisplatin neuropathy and vitamin E. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2001 Jun;20(2):277-80.
10. Kennedy M, Bruninga K, Mutlu EA, Losurdo J, et. al. Successful and sustained treatment of chronic radiation proctitis with antioxidant vitamins E and C.Am J Gastroenterol. 2001 Apr;96(4):1080-4.
11. Conklin KA. Coenzyme q10 for prevention of anthracycline-induced cardiotoxicity.
Integr Cancer Ther. 2005 Jun;4(2):110-30.
12. Lindstedt SL, Hoppeler H. Fatigue and the design of the respiratory system. Adv Exp Med Biol 1995;384:383-91.
13. Lindstedt SL, Hoppeler H. Fatigue and the design of the respiratory system. Adv Exp Med Biol 1995;384:383-91
Schulte-Mattler WJ, Muller T, Deschauer M, Gellerich FN, Iaizzo PA, Zierz S. Increased metabolic muscle fatigue is caused by some but not all mitochondrial mutations. Arch Neurol 2003 Jan;60(1):50-8
Clark JB, Hayes DJ, Morgan-Hughes JA, Byrne E. Mitochondrial myopathies: disorders of the respiratory chain and oxidative phosphorylation. J Inherit Metab Dis 1984;7 Suppl 1:62-8
Wallace DC. Mitochondrial diseases in man and mouse. Science 1999 Mar 5;283(5407):1482-8.
14. Okur A, Ezgü FS, Tümer L, Cinasal G, Oguz A, Hasanoglu A, Karadeniz C.
Effects of oral glutamine supplementation on children with solid tumors receiving chemotherapy. Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2006 Jun;23(4):277-85.
Biolo G, De Cicco M, Dal Mas V, Lorenzon S, Antonione R, Ciocchi B, Barazzoni R, Zanetti M, Dore F, Guarnieri G. Response of muscle protein and glutamine kinetics to branched-chain-enriched amino acids in intensive care patients after radical cancer surgery. Nutrition. 2006 May;22(5):475-82.
Biolo G, Zorat F, Antonione R, Ciocchi B. Muscle glutamine depletion in the intensive care unit. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2005 Oct;37(10):2169-79.
15. Lamm DL, Riggs DR, Shriver JS, vanGilder PF, Rach JF, DeHaven JI. Megadose vitamins in bladder cancer: a double-blind clinical trial. J Urol. 1994 Jan;151(1):21-6
16. Jaakkola K, Lähteenmäki P, Laakso J, Harju E, Tykkä H, Mahlberg K. Treatment with antioxidant and other nutrients in combination with chemotherapy and irradiation in patients with small-cell lung cancer. Anticancer Res. 1992 May-Jun;12(3):599-606
Jatoi A, Williams BA, Marks R, Nichols FC, Aubry MC, Wampfler J, Yang P.
Exploring vitamin and mineral supplementation and purported clinical effects in patients with small cell lung cancer: results from the Mayo Clinic lung cancer cohort. Nutr Cancer. 2005;51(1):7-12.
17. Rahman I. MacNee W. Role of oxidants/antioxidants in smoking-induced lung diseases. Free Radical Biology & Medicine 1996;21(5):669-681.
18. Leo MA. Lieber CS. Alcohol, vitamin A, and beta-carotene: adverse interactions, including hepatotoxicity and carcinogenicity. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 1999;69(6):1071-85
Tsubono Y. Kawamura M.
Ido T. Akazawa N. Tsuji I.
Komatsu S. Minami Y.
association of smoking and drinking with serum beta-carotene levels among males
Woodall AA. Jack CI. Jackson MJ. Caution with beta-carotene supplements. Lancet. 1996;347(9006):967-8
Wang XD. Liu C. Bronson RT. Smith DE. Krinsky NI. Retinoid signaling and activator protein-1 expression in ferrets given beta-carotene supplements and exposed to tobacco smoke. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 1999;91(1):60-6.
Palozza P, Luberto C, Calviello G, Ricci P, Bartoli GM. Antioxidant and prooxidant role of beta-carotene in murine normal and tumor thymocytes: effects of oxygen partial pressure. Free Radic Biol Med 1997;22:1065-73.
19. Omenn GS, Goodman GE, Thornquist MD, Balmes J, Cullen MR, Glass A, et al. Effects of a combination of beta carotene and vitamin A on lung cancer and cardiovascular disease. N Engl J Med 1996;334:1150-5.
Goodman GE. Thornquist M. Kestin M. Metch B. Anderson G. Omenn GS. The association between participant characteristics and serum concentrations of beta-carotene, retinol, retinyl palmitate, and alpha-tocopherol among participants in the Carotene and Retinol Efficacy Trial (CARET) for prevention of lung cancer. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention. 1996;5(10):815-21
20. Meyer F, Bairati I, Fortin A, Gélinas M, Nabid A, Brochet F, Têtu B. Interaction between antioxidant vitamin supplementation and cigarette smoking during radiation therapy in relation to long-term effects on recurrence and mortality: a randomized trial among head and neck cancer patients. Int J Cancer. 2008 Apr 1;122(7):1679-83.
21. Gutierrez-Ruiz MC, Gomez Quiroz LE, Hernandez E, Bucio L, Souza V, Lorente L, Kershenobich D. Cytokine response and oxidative stress produced by ethanol, acetaldehyde and endotoxin treatment in HepG2 cells. Isr Med Assoc J 3:131-136, 2001
Bailey SM, Patel VB, Young TA, Asayama K, Cunningham CC. Chronic ethanol consumption alters the glutathione/glutathione peroxidase-1 system and protein oxidation status in rat liver. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 25:726-733, 2001.
F. Wine, diet, antioxidant defenses, and oxidative damage. Annals of
23. Stevens RG. Kalkwarf DR. Iron, radiation, and cancer. Environmental Health Perspectives. 1990; 87:291-300
Kushi LH. Lenart EB. Willett WC. Health implications of Mediterranean diets in light of contemporary knowledge: meat, wine, fats, and oils. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 1995; 61(6 Suppl):1416S-1427S,
Winterbourn, CC. Superoxide-dependent production of hydroxyl radicals in the presence of iron salts. (Letter). Biochem J. 1982; 205: 463
Hu ML. Shih MK. Ascorbic acid inhibits lipid peroxidation but enhances DNA damage in rat liver nuclei incubated with iron ions. Free Radical Research. 26(6):585-92, 1997.
Oxygen free radicals in idiopathic facial pain.
Kosugi H, Enomoto H, Ishizuka Y, Kikugawa K. Variations in the level of urinary thiobarbituric acid reactant in healthy humans under different physiological conditions. Biol Pharmacol Bull 17:1645-1650, 1994
Matsumoto K. Yobimoto K. Huong NT. Abdel-Fattah M. Van Hien T. Watanabe H. Psychological stress-induced enhancement of brain lipid peroxidation via nitric oxide systems and its modulation by anxiolytic and anxiogenic drugs in mice. Brain Research. 839(1):74-84, 1999
Behl C. Effects of glucocorticoids on oxidative stress-induced hippocampal cell death: implications for the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease. Experimental Gerontology. 33(7-8):689-96, 1998
Moller P. Wallin H. Knudsen LE. Oxidative stress associated with exercise, psychological stress and life-style factors. Chemico-Biological Interactions. 102(1):17-36, 1996
Sangwatanaroj S, Saengsiri AO, Rattanapruks S, Srimahachota S, Uthayachalerm W,
Kuanoon W, Panpakdee O, Tangkijvanich P, Tosukhowong P.Short-term effects of an
intensive lifestyle modification program on lipid peroxidation and antioxidant
systems in patients with coronary artery disease. Department of Biochemistry,
Irie M, Asami S, Nagata S, Miyata M, Kasai H. Relationships between perceived workload, stress and oxidative DNA damage. Int Arch Occup Environ Health. 2001 Mar;74(2):153-7.
25. Poulsen HE. Weimann A. Loft S. Methods to detect DNA damage by free radicals: relation to exercise. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society. 58(4):1007-14, 1999
Jenkins RR, Krause K, Schofield LS. Influence of exercise on clearance of oxidant stress products and loosely bound iron. Med Sci Sports Exerc 25:213-217, 1993.
Ji LL. Exercise at old age: does it
increase or alleviate oxidative stress?
Annals of the
Lesgards JF. Durand P. Lassarre M. Stocker P. Lesgards G. Lanteaume A. Prost M. Lehucher-Michel MP. Assessment of lifestyle effects on the overall antioxidant capacity of healthy subjects. Environmental Health Perspectives. 110(5):479-86, 2002.
27. Djuric Z. Kritschevsky D. Modulation of oxidative DNA damage levels by dietary fat and calories. Mutation Research. 1993 ; 295(4-6):181-90
Djuric Z. Martino S. Heilbrun LK. Hart RW. Dietary modulation of oxidative DNA damage. Advances in Experimental Medicine & Biology. 354:71-83, 1994
Furst CJ. Auer G. Nordevang E. et al. DNA pattern and dietary habits in patients with breast cancer. European Journal of Cancer. 1993; 29A(9):1285-8.
28. Palozza P, Luberto C, Calviello G, Ricci P, Bartoli GM. Antioxidant and prooxidant role of beta-carotene in murine normal and tumor thymocytes: effects of oxygen partial pressure. Free Radic Biol Med 1997;22:1065-73.
29. Halvorsen BL, Holte K, Myhrstad MC, Barikmo I, Hvattum E, Remberg SF, Wold AB, Haffner K, Baugerod H, Andersen LF, Moskaug O, Jacobs DR Jr, Blomhoff R. A Systematic Screening of Total Antioxidants in Dietary Plants. Journal of Nutrition 132:461-471, 2002.
29. The new Top 20 list, published in the June issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry
Prior RL, Cao G, Prior RL, Cao G. Analysis of botanicals and dietary supplements for antioxidant capacity: a review. J AOAC Int. 2000 Jul-Aug;83(4):950-6.
30. Chassy AW, Bui L, Renaud EN, Van Horn M, Mitchell AE. Three-year comparison of the content of antioxidant microconstituents and several quality characteristics in organic and conventionally managed tomatoes and bell peppers. J Agric Food Chem. 2006 Oct 18;54(21):8244-52.
Young JE, Zhao X, Carey EE, Welti R, Yang SS, Wang W. Phytochemical phenolics in organically grown vegetables. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2005 Dec;49(12):1136-42.
Tarozzi A, Hrelia S, Angeloni C, Morroni F, Biagi P, Guardigli M, Cantelli-Forti G, Hrelia P. Antioxidant effectiveness of organically and non-organically grown red oranges in cell culture systems. Eur J Nutr. 2006 Mar;45(3):152-8.
31. Halvorsen BL, Holte K, Myhrstad MC, Barikmo I, Hvattum E, Remberg SF, Wold AB, Haffner K, Baugerød H, Andersen LF, Moskaug Ø, Jacobs DR Jr, Blomhoff R. A systematic screening of total antioxidants in dietary plants. J Nutr. 2002 Mar;132(3):461-71.
32. Halvorsen BL, Holte K, Myhrstad MC, Barikmo I, Hvattum E, Remberg SF, Wold AB, Haffner K, Baugerød H, Andersen LF, Moskaug Ø, Jacobs DR Jr, Blomhoff R. A systematic screening of total antioxidants in dietary plants. J Nutr. 2002 Mar;132(3):461-71.
33. Fitó M, de la Torre R, Farré-Albaladejo M, Khymenetz O, Marrugat J, Covas MI.
Bioavailability and antioxidant effects of olive oil phenolic compounds in humans: a review. Ann Ist Super Sanita. 2007;43(4):375-81.
Espín JC, Soler-Rivas C, Wichers HJ. Characterization of the total free radical scavenger capacity of vegetable oils and oil fractions using 2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl radical. J Agric Food Chem. 2000 Mar;48(3):648-56.
34. Zheng W, Wang SY.Antioxidant activity and phenolic compounds in selected herbs. J Agric Food Chem. 2001 Nov;49(11):5165-70.
Information from: http://www.herbs2000.com/articles/antioxid_herbs.htm Better Nutrition, Jan. 2002 by Lisa Turner
Anon. Antioxidant ratings for herbs. Men’s Health. 2003. Available at: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1608/is_2_19/ai_96621160. Accessed July 9, 2008.
35. Meyer F, Bairati I, Fortin A, Gélinas M, Nabid A, Brochet F, Têtu B. Interaction between antioxidant vitamin supplementation and cigarette smoking during radiation therapy in relation to long-term effects on recurrence and mortality: a randomized trial among head and neck cancer patients. Int J Cancer. 2008 Apr 1;122(7):1679-83.
Palozza P, Simone R, Mele MC. Interplay of carotenoids with cigarette smoking: implications in lung cancer. Curr Med Chem. 2008;15(9):844-54.
Tanvetyanon T, Bepler G. Beta-carotene in multivitamins and the possible risk of lung cancer among smokers versus former smokers: a meta-analysis and evaluation of national brands. Cancer. 2008 Jul 1;113(1):150-7.
Packer L, Colman C. The antioxidant
miracle. John Wiley & Sons,
Hodges S. Hertz N. Lockwood K. Lister R. CoQ10: Could it have a role in cancer management? BioFactors 1999; 9: 365-70
Beyer RE. An analysis of the role of coenzyme Q in free radical generation and as an antioxidant. Biochemistry & Cell Biology. 1992;70(6):390-403
Ernster L. Forsmark P. Nordenbrand K. The mode of action of lipid-soluble antioxidants in biological membranes. Relationship between the effects of ubiquinol and vitamin E as inhibitors of lipid peroxidation in submitochondrial particles. Journal of Nutritional Science & Vitaminology. Spec No:548-51, 1992.
37. Natella F, Belelli F, Gentili V, Ursini F, Scaccini C. Grape seed proanthocyanidins prevent plasma postprandial oxidative stress in humans. J Agric Food Chem. 2002 Dec 18;50(26):7720-5.
38. Block G, Jensen CD, Morrow JD, Holland N, Norkus EP, Milne GL, Hudes M, Dalvi TB, Crawford PB, Fung EB, Schumacher L, Harmatz P. The effect of vitamins C and E on biomarkers of oxidative stress depends on baseline level. Free Radic Biol Med. 2008 Apr 16. [Epub ahead of print]
Surapaneni KM, Ramana V. Erythrocyte ascorbic acid and plasma vitamin E status in patients with carcinoma of prostate. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 2007 Apr-Jun;51(2):199-202.
Li Y, Schellhorn HE. New developments and novel therapeutic perspectives for vitamin C. J Nutr. 2007 Oct;137(10):2171-84. Review.
Neyestani TR, Fereydouni Z, Hejazi S, Salehi-Nasab F, Nateghifard F, Maddah M, Karandish M. Vitamin C status in Iranian children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia: evidence for increased utilization. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2007 Jul;45(1):141-4.
39. Tsen KT, Tsen SW, Kiang JG. Lycopene is more potent than beta carotene in the neutralization of singlet oxygen: role of energy transfer probed by ultrafast Raman spectroscopy. J Biomed Opt. 2006 Nov-Dec;11(6):064025.
Packer L. Hydroxyl and superoxide anion radical scavenging activities of
natural source antioxidants using the computerized JES-FR30 ESR spectrometer
Biochem Mol Biol Int. 1997 Jun;42(1):35-44.
Huang K. Effects of rutin supplementation on antioxidant status and iron,
copper, and zinc contents in mouse liver and brain.
Biol Trace Elem Res. 2002 Sep;88(3):271-9.
42. Dillon SA, Burmi RS, Lowe GM, Billington D, Rhaman K. Antioxidant properties of aged garlic extract: an in vitro study incorporating human low density lipoprotein Life Sci. 2003, vol. 72, no14, pp. 1583-1594
43. Lyons A, Ghazali N. Osteoradionecrosis of the jaws: current understanding of its pathophysiology and treatment. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2008 Jun 16. [Epub ahead of print].
44. Christen S, Woodall AA, Shigenaga MK, Southwell-Keely PT, Duncan MW, Ames BN. Gamma-tocopherol traps mutagenic electrophiles such as NO(X) and complements alpha-tocopherol: physiological implications. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997 Apr 1;94(7):3217-22.
45. Sachindra NM, Sato E, Maeda H, Hosokawa M, Niwano Y, Kohno M, Miyashita K. Radical scavenging and singlet oxygen quenching activity of marine carotenoid fucoxanthin and its metabolites. J Agric Food Chem. 2007 Oct 17;55(21):8516-22.
46. Jones W, Li X, Qu ZC, Perriott L, Whitesell RR, May JM. Uptake, recycling, and antioxidant actions of alpha-lipoic acid in endothelial cells. Free Radic Biol Med. 2002 Jul 1;33(1):83-93.
Lykkesfeldt J, Hagen TM, Vinarsky V, Ames BN. Age-associated decline in ascorbic acid concentration, recycling, and biosynthesis in rat hepatocytes--reversal with (R)-alpha-lipoic acid supplementation. FASEB J. 1998 Sep;12(12):1183-9.
47. Faber M, Coudray C, Hida H, Mousseau M, Favier A. Lipid peroxidation products, and vitamin and trace element status in patients with cancer before and after chemotherapy, including adriamycin. A preliminary study. Biol Trace Elem Res 1995;47:117-23.
Hu Y. Studies on the correlation of blood selenium and lung cancer. II. An analysis of serum selenium levels and influencing factors in patients with lung cancer. Chin J Epidemiol 1993;14:346-9.
Sharma K, Mittal DK, Kesarwani RC, Kamboj VP, Chowdhery R. Diagnostic and prognostic significance of serum and tissue trace elements in breast malignancy. Indian J Med Sci 1994;48:227-32.
48. Anon. Possible interactions with: Coenzyme Q10. Available at: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/coenzyme-q10-000950.htm. Accessed July 9, 2008.
49. Micozzi MS, Brown ED, Taylor PR, Wolfe E. Carotenodermia in men with elevated carotenoid intake from foods and beta-carotene supplement. Am J Clin Nutr. 1988 Oct;48(4):1061-4.
50. Schuchter LM. Current role of protective agents in cancer treatment. Oncology.
Loprinzi, CL., Foote, RL., Michalak, J. Alleviation of cytotoxic therapy-induced normal tissue damage. Seminars in Oncology 1995; 22(2): 95-97.
51. Bland, J.S. Neurobiochemistry: a new paradigm for managing brain biochemical disturbances. J Orthomol Med 1994; 9(3): 177-185
Minami, T., Ichii, M. , Okazaki,J. et al. Free radical scavengers suppress the accumulation of platinum in the cerebral cortex. Biological Trace Element Research 1996b; 55: 1-7
52. Cascinu, S, Cordella, L, Del Ferro E, et al. Neuroprotective effect of reduced glutathione on cisplatin-based chemotherapy in advanced gastric cancer: a randomized double-blind placebo controlled trial. J Clin Oncol 1995; 1: 26-32
Smyth, J, Bowman, A, Perren, T. et al. Glutathione improves the therapeutic index of cisplatin and quality of life for patients with ovarian cancer. Proc ASCO 1995; 14: 761
Colombo, N, Bini, S, Miceli, D, et al. Weekly cisplatin and glutathione in relapsed ovarian carcinoma. Int J Gynecol Cancer 1995; 5: 81-86
Cavaletti, G. et al. Neuroprotectant drugs in cisplatin neurotoxicity. Anticancer Research 1996; 16: 3149-3160
53. Bukowski, R.M. Current approaches to cytoprotection: the role of amifostine in altering and ameliorating toxicities in cancer therapy. European Journal of Cancer 1996; 32A (Suppl 4): S1
Schiller JH. Storer B. Berlin J. Wittenkeller J. Larson M. Pharo L. Larson M. Berry W. Amifostine, cisplatin, and vinblastine in metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer: a report of high response rates and prolonged survival. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 1996; 14(6):1913-21
Schuchter LM. Exploration of platinum-based dose-intensive chemotherapy strategies with amifostine (Ethyol). European Journal of Cancer. 1996;32A Suppl 4:S40-2.
Mell LK, Malik R, Komalki R et al. Effect of amifostine on response rates in locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer patients treated on randomized controlled trials: a meta-analysis. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2007; 68:111-8.
54. Bleumer I, Oosterwijk E, De Mulder P, Mulders PF. Immunotherapy for renal cell carcinoma. Eur Urol. 2003 Jul;44(1):65-75.