1. Kubitz KA, Landers DM, Petruzzello SJ, Han M. The effects of acute and chronic exercise on sleep. A meta-analytic review. Sports Med 1996;21:277-91
O’Connor PJ, Youngstedt SD. Influence of exercise on human sleep. Exercise & Sport Sciences Reviews. 1995; 23:105-34
O’Connor PJ, Youngstedt SD. Sleep quality in older adults: effects of exercise training and influence of sunlight exposure. JAMA. 1997; 277(13):1034-5
2. Dirksen SR, Epstein DR. Efficacy of an insomnia intervention on fatigue, mood and quality of life in breast cancer survivors. J Adv Nurs. 2008 Mar;61(6):664-75.
Savard J, Simard S, Ivers H, Morin CM. Randomized study on the efficacy of cognitive-behavioral therapy for insomnia secondary to breast cancer, part I: Sleep and psychological effects. J Clin Oncol. 2005 Sep 1;23(25):6083-96.
3. McEnany GW, Lee KA. Effects of light therapy on sleep, mood, and temperature in women with nonseasonal major depression. Issues Ment Health Nurs. 2005 Aug-Sep;26(7):781-94.
Kirisoglu C, Guilleminault C. Twenty minutes versus forty-five minutes morning bright light treatment on sleep onset insomnia in elderly subjects. J Psychosom Res. 2004 May;56(5):537-42.
Fetveit A, Skjerve A, Bjorvatn B. Bright light treatment improves sleep in institutionalised elderly--an open trial. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2003 Jun;18(6):520-6.
4. Imai K, Sato H, Hori M, Kusuoka H, Ozaki H, Yokoyama H, et al. Vagally mediated heart rate recovery after exercise is accelerated in athletes but blunted in patients with chronic heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 24:1529-35, 1994
5. Imai K, Sato H, Hori M, Kusuoka H, Ozaki H, Yokoyama H, et al. Vagally mediated heart rate recovery after exercise is accelerated in athletes but blunted in patients with chronic heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 24:1529-35, 1994
6. Demark-Wahnfried W, Petersen BL, Winer EP, Marks L, Aziz N, Marcom PK et al. Changes in weight, body composition, and factors influencing energy balance among premenopausal breast cancer patients receiving adjuvant chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol 2001; 19(9):2367-69.
7. Lavelle ED, Lavelle W, Smith HS. Myofascial trigger points. Anesthesiol Clin. 2007 Dec;25(4):841-51
Sagar SM, Dryden T, Wong RK. Massage therapy for cancer patients: a reciprocal relationship between body and mind. Curr Oncol. 2007 Apr;14(2):45-56.
8. Ohira T, Schmitz KH, Ahmed RL, Yee D. Effects of weight training on quality of life in recent breast cancer survivors: the Weight Training for Breast Cancer Survivors (WTBS) study. Cancer 2006; 106(9):2076-83.
9. Englund U, Littbrand H, Sondell A, Pettersson U, Bucht G. A 1-year combined weight-bearing training program is beneficial for bone mineral density and neuromuscular function in older women. Osteoporos Int. 2005 Sep;16(9):1117-23
10. Butterworth KT, McCarthy HO, Devlin A, Ming L, Robson T, McKeown SR, Worthington J. Hypoxia selects for androgen independent LNCaP cells with a more malignant geno- and phenotype. Int J Cancer. 2008 May 29.
Fang JS, Gillies RD, Gatenby RA. Adaptation to hypoxia and acidosis in carcinogenesis and tumor progression. Semin Cancer Biol. 2008 Mar 26. [Epub ahead of print]
11. Palkhivala A. Exercise may reduce fatigue, nausea associated with adjuvant breast cancer therapy. Available at: http://doctor.medscape.com/viewarticle/555777. Accessed June 9, 2008.
Senchina DS, Kohut ML. Immunological outcomes of exercise in older adults.Clin Interv Aging. 2007;2(1):3-16.
Kim SD, Kim HS. A series of bed exercises to improve lymphocyte count in allogeneic bone marrow transplantation patients. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl). 2006 Dec;15(5):453-7.
Hutnick NA, Williams NI, Kraemer WJ, Orsega-Smith E, Dixon RH, Bleznak AD, Mastro AM. Exercise and lymphocyte activation following chemotherapy for breast cancer. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2005 Nov;37(11):1827-35.
12. van Stralen KJ, Le Cessie S, Rosendaal FR, Doggen CJ. Regular sports activities decrease the risk of venous thrombosis. J Thromb Haemost. 2007 Nov;5(11):2186-92.
13. Imai K, Sato H, Hori M, Kusuoka H, Ozaki H, Yokoyama H, et al. Vagally mediated heart rate recovery after exercise is accelerated in athletes but blunted in patients with chronic heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 24:1529-35, 1994
14. Nishime EO. Cole CR. Blackstone EH. Pashkow FJ. Lauer MS. Heart rate recovery and treadmill exercise score as predictors of mortality in patients referred for exercise ECG. JAMA. 284(11):1392-8, 2000
Lauer MS. Heart-rate
recovery immediately after exercise as a predictor of mortality.
Watanabe J. Thamilarasan M. Blackstone EH. Thomas JD. Lauer MS. Heart rate recovery immediately after treadmill exercise and left ventricular systolic dysfunction as predictors of mortality: the case of stress echocardiography. Circulation. 104(16):1911-6, 2001
15. Arena R, Guazzi M, Myers J, Peberdy MA. Prognostic value of heart rate recovery in patients with heart failure. Am Heart J. 2006;151(4):851.e7-13.
16. Goldberger AL. Non-linear dynamics for clinicians: chaos theory, fractals, and complexity at the bedside. Lancet. 347:1312–1314, 1996
Bigger JT Jr, Steinman RC, Rolnitzky LM, Fleiss JL, Albrecht P, Cohen RJ. Power law behavior of RR-interval variability in healthy middle-aged persons, patients with recent acute myocardial infarction, and patients with heart transplants. Circulation. 21:2142–2151, 1996
Dardik II. The origin of disease and health, heart waves: the single solution to heart rate variability and ischemic preconditioning. Center for Frontier Science 1997; 6(2): 18-32.
17. Anon. Exercise helps fight recurrence of cancer. Available at: http://www.newsday.com/services/newspaper/printedition/tuesday/health/ny-hsnext5728839jun17,0,3947056.story. Accessed Jun 17, 2008.
18. Martin JL, Marler MR, Harker JO, Josephson KR, Alessi CA. A multicomponent nonpharmacological intervention improves activity rhythms among nursing home residents with disrupted sleep/wake patterns. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2007 Jan;62(1):67-72.
Lack LC, Wright HR. Treating chronobiological components of chronic insomnia.
Sleep Med. 2007 Sep;8(6):637-44
19. Dimeo FC, Tilmann MH, Bertz H, Kanz L, Mertelsmann R, Keul J. Aerobic exercise in the rehabilitation of cancer patients after high dose chemotherapy and autologous peripheral stem cell transplantation. Cancer. 1997 May 1;79(9):1717-22.
Courneya KS, Keats MR, Turner AR. Physical exercise and quality of life in cancer patients following high dose chemotherapy and autologous bone marrow transplantation. Psychooncology. 2000 Mar-Apr;9(2):127-36.
Zielinski MR, Muenchow M, Wallig MA,
Jonsdottir IH, Hoffmann P. The significance of intensity and duration of exercise on natural immunity in rats. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2000 Nov;32(11):1908-12