1. Meyerhardt JA, Heseltine D, Niedzwiecki D, Hollis D, Saltz LB, Mayer RJ, Thomas J, Nelson H, Whittom R, Hantel A, Schilsky RL, Fuchs CS. Impact of physical activity on cancer recurrence and survival in patients with stage III colon cancer: findings from CALGB 89803. J Clin Oncol. 2006 Aug 1;24(22):3535-41.
Meyerhardt JA, Heseltine D, Ogino S, Clark JW, Enzinger PC, Ryan DP, Earle CC, Zhu AX, Fuchs CS. Efficacy of cetuximab after treatment with oral epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor-based chemotherapy in metastatic colorectal cancer. Clin Colorectal Cancer. 2006 May;6(1):59-65.
2. Holmes MD, Chen WY, Feskanich D, Kroenke CH, Colditz GA. Physical activity and survival after breast cancer diagnosis. JAMA. 2005 May 25;293(20):2479-86.
3. Mormont MC, Waterhouse J, Bleuzen P, Giacchetti S, Jami A, Bogdan A, Lellouch J, Misset JL, Touitou Y, Levi F. Marked 24-h rest/activity rhythms are associated with better quality of life, better response, and longer survival in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer and good performance status. Clin Cancer Res. 2000; 6(8):3038-45.
Levin RD, Daehler MA, Grutsch JF, Quiton J, Lis CG, Peterson C, Gupta D, Watson K, Layer D, Huff-Adams S, Desai B, Sharma P, Wallam M, Delioukina M, Ball P, Bryant M, Ashford M, Copeland D, Ohmori M, Wood PA, Hrushesky WJ. Circadian function in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. Br J Cancer. 2005 Nov 28;93(11):1202-8.
4. Fearon KC, Preston T. Body composition in cancer cachexia. Infusionstherapie (Basel) 1990;17(Suppl 3):63– 6.
Baracos VE. Management of muscle wasting in cancer-associated cachexia: understanding gained from experimental studies. Cancer. 2001 Sep 15;92(6 Suppl):1669-77.
Dimeo FC, Tilmann MH, Bertz H, et al. Aerobic exercise in the rehabilitation of cancer patients after high dose chemotherapy and autologous peripheral stem cell transplantation. Cancer 1997;79:1717-1722.
5. Al-Majid S, McCarthy DO. Cancer-induced fatigue and skeletal muscle wasting: the role of exercise. Biological Research for Nursing. 2(3):186-97, 2001
Zinna EM, Yarasheski KE. Exercise treatment to counteract protein wasting of chronic diseases. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2003;6(1):87-93.
Evans WJ. Role of exercise in
managing involuntary weight loss and fatigue. Presented at:
Gordon JN, Green SR, Goggin PM. Cancer cachexia. QJM. 2005 Nov;98(11):779-88.
6. Blanchard CM, Denniston MM, Baker F, Ainsworth SR, Courneya KS, Hann DM, Gesme DH, Reding D, Flynn T, Kennedy JS. Do adults change their lifestyle behaviors after a cancer diagnosis? Am J Health Behav. 2003 May-Jun;27(3):246-56.
7. Aoi W, Naito Y, Takanami Y, Kawai Y, Sakuma K, Ichikawa H, Yoshida N, Yoshikawa T. Oxidative stress and delayed-onset muscle damage after exercise. Free Radic Biol Med. 2004 Aug 15;37(4):480-7.
8. Mormont MC, Waterhouse J, Bleuzen P, Giacchetti S, Jami A, Bogdan A, Lellouch J, Misset JL, Touitou Y, Levi F. Marked 24-h rest/activity rhythms are associated with better quality of life, better response, and longer survival in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer and good performance status. Clin Cancer Res. 2000; 6(8):3038-45.
9. Rich T, Innominato PF, Boerner J, Mormont MC, Iacobelli S, Baron B, Jasmin C, Lévi F. Elevated serum cytokines correlated with altered behavior, serum cortisol rhythm, and dampened 24-hour rest-activity patterns in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2005 Mar 1;11(5):1757-64.
10. Stouffer J, Block PB, Koch A, Feng A, Gyllenhaal C, de la Torre M, Tothy
P, Nathan D, Block KI. Correlations between Circadian Rhythms and Quality
of Life in Cancer Patients.
Presented at the annual meeting of the Society for Integrative Oncology,
11. Dimeo F, Stieglitz RD, Novelli-Fischer U et al. Effects of aerobic exercise on fatigue and psychological status of cancer patients during chemotherapy. Cancer 1998; 85: 2273-7
Dimeo F. Fetscher S. Lange W. Mertelsmann R. Keul J. Effects of aerobic exercise on the physical performance and incidence of treatment-related complications after high-dose chemotherapy. Blood. 90(9):3390-4, 1997.
12. Young-McCaughan, S. and D.L. Sexton. A retrospective investigation of the relationship between aerobic exercise and quality of life in women with breast cancer. Oncology Nursing Forum. 1991; 18(4): 751-757
13. Newsholme P, Procopio J, Lima MM, Pithon-Curi TC, Curi R. Glutamine and glutamate--their central role in cell metabolism and function. Cell Biochem Funct. 2003 Mar;21(1):1-9.
Yoshida S, Kaibara A, Ishibashi N, Shirouzu K. Glutamine supplementation in cancer patients. Nutrition. 2001 Sep;17(9):766-8.
14. Winningham ML. Strategies for managing cancer-related fatigue syndrome: a rehabilitation approach. Cancer. 92(4 Suppl):988-97, 2001
Dimeo F, Schwartz S, Fietz T, et al. Effects of endurance training on the physical performance of patients with hematological malignancies during chemotherapy. Support Care Cancer. 2003;11:623-8
15. Meyerhardt JA, Heseltine D, Niedzwiecki D, Hollis D, Saltz LB, Mayer RJ, Thomas J, Nelson H, Whittom R, Hantel A, Schilsky RL, Fuchs CS. Impact of physical activity on cancer recurrence and survival in patients with stage III colon cancer: findings from CALGB 89803. J Clin Oncol. 2006 Aug 1;24(22):3535-41.
Holick CN, Newcomb PA, Trentham-Dietz A, Titus-Ernstoff L, Bersch AJ, Stampfer MJ, Baron JA, Egan KM, Willett WC. Physical activity and survival after diagnosis of invasive breast cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2008 Feb;17(2):379-86.
Alfano CM, Klesges RC, Murray DM, Bowen DJ, McTiernan A, Vander Weg MW, Robinson LA, Cartmel B, Thornquist MD, Barnett M, Goodman GE, Omenn GS.
Physical activity in relation to all-site and lung cancer incidence and mortality in current and former smokers. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2004 Dec;13(12):2233-41.
Giovannucci EL, Liu Y, Leitzmann MF, Stampfer MJ, Willett WC. A prospective study of physical activity and incident and fatal prostate cancer. Arch Intern Med. 2005 May 9;165(9):1005-10.
Hannan LM, Leitzmann MF, Lacey JV Jr, Colbert LH, Albanes D, Schatzkin A,
Schairer C. Physical activity and risk of
ovarian cancer: a prospective cohort study in the
Kramer MM, Wells CL. Does physical activity reduce risk of estrogen-dependent cancer in women? Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1996 Mar;28(3):322-34.
Bang P. Brandt J. Degerblad M. Enberg G. Kaijser L. Thoren M. Hall K. Exercise-induced changes in insulin-like growth factors and their low molecular weight binding protein in healthy subjects and patients with growth hormone deficiency. European Journal of Clinical Investigation. 20(3):285-92, 1990
Chadan SG. Dill RP. Vanderhoek K. Parkhouse WS. Influence of physical activity on plasma insulin-like growth factor-1 and insulin-like growth factor binding proteins in healthy older women. Mechanisms of Ageing & Development. 109(1):21-34, 1999
Hellenius ML. Brismar KE. Berglund BH. de Faire UH. Effects on glucose tolerance, insulin secretion, insulin-like growth factor 1 and its binding protein, IGFBP-1, in a randomized controlled diet and exercise study in healthy, middle-aged men. Journal of Internal Medicine. 238(2):121-30, 1995
McCarty MF. Up-regulation of IGF binding protein-1 as an anticarcinogenic strategy: relevance to caloric restriction, exercise, and insulin sensitivity. Medical Hypotheses. 48(4):297-308, 1997
17. Kelley, D. E., and B. H. Goodpaster. Effects of physical activity on insulin action and glucose tolerance in obesity. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 31: (Suppl.) S619–S623, 1999
Mayer-Davis, E. J., R. D’Agostino, A. J. Karter, et al. Intensity and amount of physical activity in relation to insulin sensitivity: the insulin resistance atherosclerosis study. JAMA 279: 669–674, 1998
Ivy JL: Role of exercise training in the prevention and treatment of insulin resistance and non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus. Sports Med 24:326-336, 1997
Boyd DB. Insulin and cancer. Integr Cancer Ther 2003; 2(4):315-29.
Goodwin PJ, Ennis M, Pritchard KI, Trudeau ME, Koo J, Madarnas Y, Hartwick W, Hoffman B, Hood N. Fasting insulin and outcome in early-stage breast cancer: results of a prospective cohort study. J Clin Oncol. 2002 Jan 1;20(1):42-51
18. D'Avanzo B. Nanni O. La Vecchia C. Franceschi S. Negri E. Giacosa A. Conti E. Montella M. Talamini R. Decarli A. Physical activity and breast cancer risk. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention. 1996;5(3):155-60
Frisch RE. Wyshak G. Albright NL. Albright TE. Schiff I. Jones KP. Witschi J. Shiang E. Koff E. Marguglio M. Lower prevalence of breast cancer and cancers of the reproductive system among former college athletes compared to non-athletes. British Journal of Cancer. 52(6):885-91, 1985
Wyshak G. Frisch RE. Albright NL. Albright TE. Schiff I. Lower prevalence of benign diseases of the breast and benign tumours of the reproductive system among former college athletes compared to non-athletes. British Journal of Cancer. 54(5):841-5, 1986
19. Ardies CM. Exercise, cachexia and cancer therapy: a molecular rationale. Nutrition and Cancer 2002; 42(2):143-57
Fehrenbach E, Northoff H. Free radicals, exercise, apoptosis, and heat shock proteins. Exerc Immunol Rev. 2001;7:66-89.
20. Sjodin B. Hellsten Westing Y. Apple FS. Biochemical mechanisms for oxygen free radical formation during exercise. Sports Medicine. 10(4):236-54, 1990
Shephard RJ, Shek PN. Effects of exercise and training on natural killer cell counts and cytolytic activity: a meta-analysis. Sports Med. 1999;28(3):177-95
21. Pedersen BK, Hoffman-Goetz L. Exercise and the immune system: regulation, integration, and adaptation. Physiol Rev. 2000 Jul;80(3):1055-81.
22. Pedersen BK, Bruunsgaard H, Klokker M, Kappel M, MacLean DA, Nielsen HB, Rohde T, Ullum H, Zacho M. Exercise-induced immunomodulation--possible roles of neuroendocrine and metabolic factors. Int J Sports Med. 1997 Mar;18 Suppl 1:S2-7.
MacNeil B, Hoffman-Goetz L. Effect of exercise on natural cytotoxicity and pulmonary tumor metastases in mice. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1993 Aug;25(8):922-8.
Davis JM, Kohut ML, Jackson DA, Colbert LH, Mayer EP, Ghaffar A. Exercise effects on lung tumor metastases and in vitro alveolar macrophage antitumor cytotoxicity. Am J Physiol. 1998 May;274(5 Pt 2):R1454-9.
23. Woods JA, Davis JM. Exercise, monocyte/macrophage function, and cancer. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1994 Feb;26(2):147-56.
Schwartz AL. Exercise and weight gain in breast cancer patients receiving chemotherapy. Cancer Pract. 2000 Sep-Oct;8(5):231-7.
25. MacDonald N. Cancer cachexia and targeting chronic inflammation: a unified approach to cancer treatment and palliative/supportive care. J Support Oncol. 2007 Apr;5(4):157-62;
26. Courneya, K.S., Segal, R.J., Mackey, J.R., Gelmon, K., Reid, R.D., Friedenreich, C.M., Ladha, A.B., Proulx, C., Vallance, J.K., Lane, K., Yasui, Y., & McKenzie, D.C. (2007) Effects of aerobic and resistance exercise in breast cancer patients receiving adjuvant chemotherapy: a multicenter randomized controlled trial. Journal of Clinical Oncology 25(28):4396-404
27. Neugut AI, Matasar M, Wang X, McBride R, Jacobson JS, Tsai WY, Grann VR, Hershman DL. Duration of adjuvant chemotherapy for colon cancer and survival among the elderly. J Clin Oncol. 2006 May 20;24(15):2368-75.
28. Govindan R. Management of patients with non-small cell lung cancer and poor performance status. Curr Treat Options Oncol. 2003;4(1):55-9
Chow E, Harth T, Hruby G, Finkelstein J, Wu J, Danjoux C. How accurate are physicians' clinical predictions of survival and the available prognostic tools in estimating survival times in terminally ill cancer patients? A systematic review. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2001;13(3):209-18
29. Dimeo FC. Stieglitz RD. Novelli-Fischer U. Fetscher S. Keul J. Effects of physical activity on the fatigue and psychologic status of cancer patients during chemotherapy. Cancer. 85(10):2273-7, 1999
Lubbe AS. Krischke NR. Dimeo F. Forkel S. Petermann F. Health-related quality of life and pulmonary function in lung cancer patients undergoing medical rehabilitation treatment. Wiener Medizinische Wochenschrift. 151(1-2):29-34, 2001.
Dimeo F. Rumberger BG. Keul J. Aerobic exercise as therapy for cancer fatigue. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 30(4):475-8, 1998
30. Bhui, K., and A. Fletcher. Common mood and anxiety states: gender differences in the protective effect of physical activity. Soc. Psychiatry Psychiatr. Epidemiol. 2000;35: 28–35
Young-McCaughan, S. and D.L. Sexton. A retrospective investigation of the relationship between aerobic exercise and quality of life in women with breast cancer. Oncology Nursing Forum. 1991; 18(4): 751-757
Carter SD, Drum SN,
Dunn AL. Trivedi MH. O'Neal HA. Physical activity dose-response effects on outcomes of depression and anxiety. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise.2001; 33(6 Suppl):S587-97
31. Mock V, Dow KH, Meares CJ, Grimm PM, Dienemann JA. et al. Effects of exercise on fatigue, physical functioning, and emotional distress during radiation therapy for breast cancer. Oncol. Nurs Forum 1997; 24: 991-1000
Johnson,J.B., and A.W. Kelly. A multifaceted rehabilitation program for women with cancer. Oncology Nursing Forum 1990; 17(5): 691-695
Stevinson, C., Lawlor, D.A. & Fox, K.R. (2004). Exercise interventions for cancer patients: systematic review of controlled trials. Cancer Causes & Control 15(10), 1035-1056.
Markes, M., Brockow, T. & Resch, K.L. (2006, August 22). Exercise for women receiving adjuvant therapy for breast cancer. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2. Retrieved May 15, 2007 from http://gateway.ut.ovid.com.proxy.cc.uic.edu/gw1/ovidweb.cgi.
32. Young SN. How to increase serotonin in the human brain without drugs. J Psychiatry Neurosci. 2007 Nov;32(6):394-9.
33. Mustian KM, Katula JA, Zhao H. A pilot study to assess the influence of tai chi chuan on functional capacity in breast cancer patients. J Support Oncol 2006; 4(3):139-45.
O’Connor PJ, Youngstedt SD. Influence of exercise on human sleep. Exercise & Sport Sciences Reviews. 1995; 23:105-34
Li F, Fisher KJ, Harmer P, Kirbe D, Tearse RG, Weimer DC. Tai chi and self-rated quality of sleep and daytime sleepiness in older adults: a randomized controlled trial. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004; 52(6):892-900.
34. Cohen L, Warneke C, Fouladi RT, Rodriguez MA, Chaoul-Reich A. Psychological adjustment and sleep quality in a randomized trial of the effects of a Tibetan yoga intervention in patients with lymphoma. Cancer. 2004;100(10):2253-60.
Mansky, P., Sannes, T., Wallerstedt, D., Ge, A., Ryan, M., Johnson, L.L., Chesney, M. & Gerber, L. (2006). Tai chi chuan: mind-body practice or exercise intervention? Studying the benefit for cancer survivors. Integrative Cancer Therapies 5(3), 192-201
Bower, J.E., Woolery, A., Sternlieb, B. & Garet, D. (2005). Yoga for cancer patients and survivors. Cancer Control 12(3), 165-171.
Visovsky, C. (2006). Muscle strength, body composition, and physical activity in women receiving chemotherapy for breast cancer. Integrative Cancer Therapies 5(3), 183-191.
35. Mormont MC, Waterhouse J, Bleuzen P, Giacchetti S, Jami A, Bogdan A, Lellouch J, Misset JL, Touitou Y, Levi F. Marked 24-h rest/activity rhythms are associated with better quality of life, better response, and longer survival in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer and good performance status. Clin Cancer Res. 2000; 6(8):3038-45
36. Anon Narcolepsy drug for cancer fatigue. Available at: http://www.ecancermedicalscience.com/news-insider-news.asp?itemId=194. Accessed June 9 2008.
38. Winer EP. Lindley C. Hardee M. Sawyer WT. Brunatti C. Borstelmann NA. Peters W. Quality of life in patients surviving at least 12 months following high dose chemotherapy with autologous bone marrow support. Psycho-Oncology. 8(2):167-76, 1999
Dimeo FC. Tilmann MH. Bertz H. Kanz L. Mertelsmann R. Keul J. Aerobic exercise in the rehabilitation of cancer patients after high dose chemotherapy and autologous peripheral stem cell transplantation. Cancer. 79(9):1717-22, 1997
Dimeo, F, H. Bertz, J. Finke, S. Fetscher, R. Mertelsmann, and J. Keul. An aerobic exercise program for patients with haematological malignancies after bone marrow transplantation. Bone Marrow Transplantation. 18:1157-1160, 1996
Milne, H.M., Wallman, K.E., Gordon, S. & Courneya, K.S. (2008) Effects of a combined aerobic and resistance exercise program in breast cancer survivors: a randomized controlled trial. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment 108(2):279-88
40. Mustian KM, Katula JA, Gill DL. Exercise: Complementary therapy for breast cancer rehabilitation. Women & Therapy, 2002; 25 (2):105-118
Mustian KM, Katula JA, Roscoe J, Morrow G. The influence of Tai Chi and Support Therapy on fatigue and quality of life in women with breast cancer. 2004 ASCO Annual Meeting. Abstract No: 8143.
Mustian KM, Katula JA, Zhao H. A pilot study to assess the influence of tai chi chuan on functional capacity in breast cancer patients. J Support Oncol 2006; 4(3):139-45.
41. De Maat, MP. Effect of diet, drugs and genes on plasma fibrinogen levels. Ann NY Acad Sci 2001; 936:509-21.
Ernst E, Matrai A, Siepmann P, Schmid A. Blood rheology of former and active athletes. J Sports Med Phys Fitness 1987; 27:373-375
Ernst E. Influence of regular physical activity on blood rheology. Eur Heart J 1987; 8 Suppl G:59-62
Neuhaus D, Gaehtgens P. Haemorrheology and long term exercise. Sports Med 1994; 18:10-21
Koenig W, Sund M, Doring A, Ernst E. Leisure-time physical activity but not work-related physical activity is associated with decreased plasma viscosity. Results from a large population sample [see comments]. Circulation 1997; 95:335-341
Brun JF, Khaled S, Raynaud E, Bouix D, Micallef JP, Orsetti A. The triphasic effects of exercise on blood rheology: which relevance to physiology and pathophysiology? Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 1998; 19:89-104
42. Kalman D, Villani LJ. Nutritional aspects of cancer-related fatigue. J Am Diet Assoc 1997;97:650-654
Irwin ML, Ainsworth BE. Physical activity interventions following cancer diagnosis: methodologic challenges to delivery and assessment. Cancer Invest. 2004;22(1):30-50.
Courneya KS, Friedenreich CM. Physical exercise and quality of life following cancer diagnosis: a literature review. Ann Behav Med. 1999 Spring;21(2):171-9
Durak E. How exercise may help
Cancer, Exercise, Wellness and
Rehabilitation. Medical Health
Durak E. How exercise may help
Cancer, Exercise, Wellness and
Rehabilitation. Medical Health
Reeves GK, Pirie K, Beral V, Green J, Spencer E, Bull D; Million Women Study Collaboration. Cancer incidence and mortality in relation to body mass index in the Million Women Study: cohort study. BMJ. 2007 Dec 1;335(7630):1134.
Calle EE, Rodriguez C, Walker-Thrumond K, Thun MJ. Overweight, obesity and mortality from cancer in a prospectively-studied cohort of US adults. N Engl J Med 2003;348(17):1625-38.