1. Brandi G, Calabrese C, Pantaleo MA, Morselli Labate A, DiFebo G, Hakim R, DeVivo A, Di Marco MC, Biasco G. Circadian variations of rectal cell proliferation in patients affected by advanced colorectal cancer. Cancer Lett. 2004; 208(2):193-6.
Wood PA, Du-Quiton J, You S, Hrushesky WJ. Circadian clock coordinates cancer cell cycle progression, thymidylate synthase, and 5-fluorouracil therapeutic index. Mol Cancer Ther. 2006 Aug;5(8):2023-33.
2. Lis CG, Grutsch JF, Wood P, You M, Rich I, Hrushesky WJ. Circadian timing in cancer treatment: the biological foundation for an integrative approach. Integr Cancer Ther. 2003 Jun;2(2):105-11.
Lévi F, Focan C, Karaboué A, de la Valette V, Focan-Henrard D, Baron B, Kreutz F, Giacchetti S. Implications of circadian clocks for the rhythmic delivery of cancer therapeutics. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2007 Aug 31;59(9-10):1015-35.
3. Kobayashi M, Wood PA, Hrushesky WJ. Circadian chemotherapy for gynecological and genitourinary cancers. Chronobiol Int. 2002 Jan;19(1):237-51.
4. You S, Wood PA, Xiong Y, Kobayashi M, Du-Quiton J, Hrushesky WJ.
Daily coordination of cancer growth and circadian clock gene expression.
Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2005 May;91(1):47-60.
5. Cornélissen G, Gubin D, Halberg F, Milano G, Halberg F. Chronomedical aspects of oncology and geriatrics. In Vivo. 1999 Jan-Feb;13(1):77-82.
Lévi F, Zidani R, Brienza S, Dogliotti L, Perpoint B, Rotarski M, Letourneau Y, Llory JF, Chollet P, Le Rol A, Focan C. A multicenter evaluation of intensified, ambulatory, chronomodulated chemotherapy with oxaliplatin, 5-fluorouracil, and leucovorin as initial treatment of patients with metastatic colorectal carcinoma. International Organization for Cancer Chronotherapy. Cancer. 1999 Jun 15;85(12):2532-40.
6. Kobayashi M, Wood PA, Hrushesky WJ. Circadian chemotherapy for gynecological and genitourinary cancers. Chronobiol Int. 2002 Jan;19(1):237-51.
7. Block KI, Reynolds S, Gyllenhaal C, Block PB, de la Torre M, Nathan D, Tothy P. Clinical experiences with chronotherapy of advanced colon cancer in the integrative care setting: impact on common toxicities. Presented at 2nd International Conference of the Society for Integrative Oncology, San Diego CA, Nov. 10-12, 2005.
8. Neugut AI, Matasar M, Wang X, McBride R, Jacobson JS, Tsai WY, Grann VR, Hershman DL. Duration of adjuvant chemotherapy for colon cancer and survival among the elderly. J Clin Oncol. 2006 May 20;24(15):2368-75
9. Lis CG, Grutsch JF, Wood P, You M, Rich I, Hrushesky WJ. Circadian timing in cancer treatment: the biological foundation for an integrative approach. Integr Cancer Ther. 2003 Jun;2(2):105-11.
Takimoto CH. Chronomodulated chemotherapy for colorectal cancer: failing the test of time? Eur J Cancer 2006; 42:574-81.
10. Sasse AD, Clarke LG, Sasse EC, Clark OA. Amifostine reduces side effects and improves complete response rate during radiotherapy: results of a meta-analysis. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2006; 64(3):784-91.
Block KI, Gyllenhaal C. Commentary: the pharmacological antioxidant amifostine -- implications of recent research for integrative cancer care. Integr Cancer Ther. 2005 Dec;4(4):329-51.
11. Alberts DS, Bleyer WA. Future development of amifostine in cancer treatment. Semin Oncol. 1996; 23(4Suppl8); 90-9.
12. Treskes M, van der Vijgh WJ. WR2721 as a modulator of cisplatin- and carboplatin-induced side effects in comparison with other chemoprotective agents: a molecular approach. Cancer Chemotherapy & Pharmacology 1993; 33(2):93-106.
Budd GT, Ganapathi R, Wood L, Snyder J, McLain D, Bukowski RM. Approaches to managing carboplatin-induced thrombocytopenia: focus on the role of amifostine. Semin Oncol. 1999; 26(2Suppl 7):41-50.
Schiller JH, Storer B, Berlin J, Wittenkeller J, Larson M, Pharo L, Larson M, Berry W. Amifostine, cisplatin, and vinblastine in metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer: a report of high response rates and prolonged survival. J Clin Oncol. 1996; 14(6):1913-21.
Schuchter LM. Exploration of platinum-based dose-intensive chemotherapy studies with amifostine (Ethyol). Eur J Cancer 1996; 32A Suppl4:S40-2.
13. Block KI, Gyllenhaal C. Commentary: the pharmacological antioxidant amifostine -- implications of recent research for integrative cancer care. 2005 Dec;4(4):329-51.
14. Blumenfeld Z, Eckman A. Preservation of fertility and ovarian function and minimization of chemotherapy-induced gonadotoxicity in young women by GnRH-a. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr. 2005; (34):40-3.
15. Seli E, Tanquir J. Ferility preservation options for female patients with malignancies. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 17(3):299-308.
16. Graziano F, Bisonni R, Catalano V, Silva R, Rovidati S, Mencarini E, Ferraro B, Canestrari F, Baldelli AM, De Gaetano A, Gior4dani P, Testa E, Lai V. Potential role of levocarnitine supplementation for hte treatment of chemotherapy-induced fatigue in non-anaemic cancer patients. Br J Cancer. 2002; 86(12):1854-7.
Lissoni P, Galli MA, Tancini G, Barni S. Prevention by l-carnitine of interleukin-2 related cardiotoxicity during cancer chemotherapy. Tumori 1993; 79)3):202-4.
17. Ziegler D. Thioctic acid for patients with symptomatic diabetic polyneuropathy: a critical review. Treat Endocrinol. 2004; 3(3):173-89.
Gedlicka C, Scheithauer W, Schull B, Kornek GV. Effective treatment of oxaliplatin-induced cumulative polyneuropathy with alpha-lipoic acid. J Clin Oncol. 2007; 20(15):3359-61.
18. Zee-Cheng, RK. Shi-quan-da-bu-tang (ten significant tonic decoction), SQT. A potent Chinese biological response modifier in cancer immunotherapy, potentiation and detoxification of chemotherapy drugs. Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 1992; 14(9):725-36.
Kiyohara H, Matsumoto T, Komatsu Y, Yamada H. Protective effect of oral administration of a pectic polysaccharide fraction from a Kampo (Japanese herbal) medicine “Juzen-Taiho-To” on adverse effects of cis-daminedichloroplatinum. Planta Med. 1995; 61(6):531-4.
Sugiyama K, Ueda H, Ichio Y. Protective effect of juzen-taiho-to against carboplatin-induced toxic side effects in mice. Bio Pharm Bull. 1995; 18(4):544-8.
Kogure T, Ltoh K, Tatsumi T, Sekiya N, Sakai S, Shimada Y, Tamura J, Terasawa K. The effect of Juzen-taiho-to/TJ-48 on the expression of killer-cell immunoglobulin-like receptors (CD158a/b) on peripheral lymphocytes in vitro experiment. Phytomedicine 2005; 12(5):327-32.
Lian Z, Niwa K, Onogi K, Mori H, Harrigan RC, Tamaya T. Anti-tumor effects of herbal medicines on endometrial carcinomas via estrogen receptor-alpha-related mechanisms. Oncol Rep 2006; 15(5):1133-6.
19. Visovsky C, Collins M, Abbott L, Aschenbrenner J, Hart C. Putting evidence into practice: evidence-based interventions for chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy.
Clin J Oncol Nurs. 2007 Dec;11(6):901-13.
20. Argyriou AA, Chroni E, Koutras A, Iconomou G, Papapetropoulos s, Polychronopoulos P, Kalofonos HP. A randomized controlled trial evaluating the efficacy and safety of vitamin E supplementation for protection against cisplatin-induced peripheral neuropathy: final results. Support Care Cancer. 2006. 14(11):1134-40.
21. Dickey DT, Wu YJ, Muldoon LL, Neuwelt EA. Protection against cisplatin-induced toxicities by N-acetylcysteine and sodium thiosulfate as assessed at the molecular, celluar and in vivo levels. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2005; 314(3):1052-8.
Nisar S, Feinfeld DA. N-acetylscysteine as salvage therapy in cisplatin neurotoxicity. Ren Fail. 2002; 24(4):529-33.
22. Yoshida S, Matsui M, Shirouzu Y, Fujita H, Yamana H, Shirouzu K. Effects of glutamine supplements and radiochemotherapy on systemic immune and gut barrier function in patients with advanced esophageal cancer. Ann Surg 1998. 227(4):485-91.
23. Argyriou AA, Chroni E, Koutras A, Iconomou G, Papapetropoulos S, Polychronopoulos P, Kalofonos HP. Preventing paclitaxel-induced peripheral neuropathy: a phase II trial of vitamin E supplementation. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2006 Sep;32(3):237-44.
Stubblefield MD, Vahdat LT, Balmaceda CM, Troxel AB, Hesdorffer CS, Gooch CL. Glutamine as a neuroprotective agent in high-dose paclitaxel-induced peripheral neuropathy: a clinical and electrophysiological study. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2005; 17(4):271-6.
Savareses DM, Savy G, Vahdat L, Wischmeyer PE, Corey B. Prevention of chemotherapy and radiation toxicity with glutamine. Cancer Treat Rev. 2003; 29)6):501-13.
Flatters SJ, Xiao WH, Bennett GJ. Acetyl-l-carnitine prevents and reduces paclitaxel-induced painful peripheral neuropathy. Neurosci Lett. 2006; 397(3):219-23.
Maestri A, De Pasquale Ceratti A, Cdari S, Zanna C, Cortesi E, Crino L. A pilot study on the effect of acetyl-l-carnitine in paclitaxel- and cisplatin-induced peripheral neuropathy. Tumori 2005; 91(2):135-8.
24. Conklin KA. Coenzyme Q10 for prevention of anthracycline-induced cardiotoxicity. Integr Cancer Ther. 2005; 4(2):110-30.
25. Wang WS, Lin JK, Lin TC, Chen WS, Jiang JK, Wang HS, Chiou TJ, Liu JH, Yen CC, Chen PM. Oral glutamine is effective for preventing oxaliplatin-induced neuropathy in colorectal cancer patients. Oncologist. 2007 Mar;12(3):312-9.
Gedlicka C, Scheithauer W, Schull B, Kornek GV. Effective treatment of oxaliplatin-induced cucmulative polyneuropathy with alpha-lipoic acid. J Clin Oncol. 2002; 20(5):3359-61.
Muto O, Ando H, Ono T, Itagaki H, Kobayashi Y, Onuki M, Akashi T, Tanaka Y, Hanaoka T. [Reduction of oxaliplatin-related neurotoxicity by calcium and magnesium infusions] Gan To Kagaku Ryoho. 2007 Apr;34(4):579-81.
Wolf S, Barton D, Kottschade L, Grothey A, Loprinzi C. Chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy: Prevention and treatment strategies. Eur J Cancer. 2008 Jun 18.
Visovsky C, Collins M, Abbott L, Aschenbrenner J, Hart C. Putting evidence into practice: evidence-based interventions for chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy.
Clin J Oncol Nurs. 2007 Dec;11(6):901-13.
Wolf S, Barton D, Kottschade L, Grothey A, Loprinzi C. Chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy: prevention and treatment strategies. Eur J Cancer. 2008 Jul;44(11):1507-15.
26. Aquino VM, Harvey AR, Gavrin JH, Godder KT, Nieder ML, Adams RH, Jackson GB, Sandler ES. A double-blind randomized placebo-controlled study of oral glutamine in the prevention of mucositis in children undergoing hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: a pediatric blood and marrow transplant consortium study. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2005; 36)7):611-6.
Cockerham MB, Weinberger BB, Lerchie SB. Oral glutamine for the prevention of oral mucositis associated with high-dose paclitaxel and melphalan for autologus bone marrow transplantation. Ann Pharmacother. 2000; 34(3):300-3.
27. Worthington HV, Clarkson JE, Eden OB. Interventions for preventing oral mucositis for patients with cancer receiving treatment. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006; (2):CD000978.
Decker-Baumann C, Buhl K, Frohmuller S, von Herbay A, Dueck M, Schlag PM. Reduction of chemotherapy-induced side-effects by parenteral glutamine supplementation in patients with colorectal cancer. Eur J Cancer. 1999; 35(2):202-7.
28. King PD and Perry MC. 2001. Hepatotoxicity of chemotherapy. The Oncologist 6(2):162-176.
Post-White J, Ladas EJ and Kelly KM. 2007. Advances in the use of milk thistle. Integrative Cancer Therapies 6(2):104-9.
29. Block KI, Koch AC, Mead MN, Tothy PK, Newman RA, Gyllenhaal C. Impact of antioxidant supplementation on chemotherapeutic efficacy: a systematic review of the evidence from randomized controlled trials. Cancer Treat Rev. 2007 Aug;33(5):407-18.
Block KI, Koch AC, Mead MN, Tothy PK, Newman RA, Gyllenhaal C. Impact of Antioxidant Supplementation on Chemotherapeutic Toxicity: A Systematic Review of the Evidence from Randomized Controlled Trials. Int J Cancer 2008; in press.
30. Block KI, Gyllenhaal C. Clinical corner: herb-drug interactions in cancer chemotherapy: theoretical concerns regarding drug metabolizing enzymes. Integr Cancer Ther. 2002 Mar;1(1):83-9.
31. Meijerman I, Beijnen JH, Schellens JH. Herb-drug interactions in oncology: focus on mechanisms of induction. Oncologist. 2006 Jul-Aug;11(7):742-52.
Smith P, Bullock JM, Booker BM, Haas CE, Berenson CS, Jusko WJ. The influence of St. John's wort on the pharmacokinetics and protein binding of imatinib mesylate.
Pharmacotherapy. 2004 Nov;24(11):1508-14.
Mathijssen RH, Verweij J, de Bruijn P, Loos WJ, Sparreboom A. Effects of St. John's wort on irinotecan metabolism. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2002 Aug 21;94(16):1247-9.
32. Marchetti S, Mazzanti R, Beijnen JH, Schellens JH. Concise review: Clinical relevance of drug drug and herb drug interactions mediated by the ABC transporter ABCB1 (MDR1, P-glycoprotein). Oncologist. 2007 Aug;12(8):927-41.
Grenier J, Fradette C, Morelli G, Merritt GJ, Vranderick M, Ducharme MP. Pomelo juice, but not cranberry juice, affects the pharmacokinetics of cyclosporine in humans.
Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2006 Mar;79(3):255-62.
Farkas D, Greenblatt DJ. Influence of fruit juices on drug disposition: discrepancies between in vitro and clinical studies. Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol. 2008 Apr;4(4):381-93
33. Wittkowsky AK. Dietary supplements, herbs and oral anticoagulants: the nature of the evidence. J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2008 Feb;25(1):72-7.
Samuels N. Herbal remedies and anticoagulant therapy. Thromb Haemost. 2005 Jan;93(1):3-7.
34. Kumar NB, Allen K, Bell H. Perioperative herbal supplement use in cancer patients: potential implications and recommendations for presurgical screening. Cancer Control. 2005 Jul;12(3):149-57
35. Greenblatt DJ, von Moltke LL. Interaction of warfarin with drugs, natural substances, and foods. J Clin Pharmacol. 2005 Feb;45(2):127-32.
Booth SL, Centurelli MA. Vitamin K: a practical guide to the dietary management of patients on warfarin. Nutr Rev. 1999 Sep;57(9 Pt 1):288-96
36. Brewer GJ, Merajver SD. Cancer therapy with tetrathiomolybdate: antiangiogenesis by lowering body copper--a review. Integr Cancer Ther. 2002 Dec;1(4):327-37.
37. Anon. Folate (folic acid). Available at: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/folate/NS_patient-folate. Accessed July 2, 2008.
38. German PI, Aweeka FT. Clinical pharmacology of artemisinin-based combination therapies. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2008;47(2):91-102.
39. Kaye AD, Kucera I, Sabar R. Perioperative anesthesia clinical considerations of alternative medicines. Anesthesiol Clin North America. 2004 Mar;22(1):125-39.
40. Bush TM, Rayburn KS, Holloway SW, Sanchez-Yamamoto DS, Allen BL, Lam T, So BK, Tran de H, Greyber ER, Kantor S, Roth LW. Adverse interactions between herbal and dietary substances and prescription medications: a clinical survey. Altern Ther Health Med. 2007 Mar-Apr;13(2):30-5.
Elmer GW, Lafferty WE, Tyree PT, Lind BK. Potential interactions between complementary/alternative products and conventional medicines in a Medicare population. Ann Pharmacother. 2007 Oct;41(10):1617-24.
Block KI, Gyllenhaal C, Koch A, Block PB, de la Torre M, Tothy P. Use of herbs and supplements by chemotherapy patients attending an integrative cancer clinic. Presented at annual meeting of the Society for Integrative Oncology, San Francisco CA, Nov. 21 2007.
41. Zhou SF, Zhou ZW, Li CG, Chen X, Yu X, Xue CC, Herington A. Identification of drugs that interact with herbs in drug development. Drug Discov Today. 2007 Aug;12(15-16):664-73.